Saturday, June 30, 2012

Making progress

Today was much better (just like all the people at NHFC said it would be).  We've figured out what works for us, language wise.  We've done better about communicating our expectations and he seems happier knowing what we expect.  God love him he is so cold-natured, even in this crazy heat, he would rather be outside.  He is opening up more and more, especially with the kids.  He and L.J. are having the most trouble, mostly because L.J. is self-appointed head of household, bossy, used to being the oldest ;)  I tried to tell Roman that L.J. was jealous.  He said "jealous means love".  I guess it does, in way.  I hope he knows how much we all love him already!  Bailey is the most reserved with him still, but he doesn't press her so I know she'll come around.  Olivia loves him and wants him to hold her, which I don't think he is used to, but he does it anyway.  He ignored Gabe for the most part until today.  I was working on laundry when Gabe started crying, before I could stop what I was doing Roman had picked him up and was bringing him to me.  But Gabe was happy enough with Roman so I sent them off to play so I could finish up.  John was wrestling with the kids today and I tried to encourage Roman to jump in, but he said no.  Of course it wasn't a firm no, about a minute into he was piled in there with the rest of them.  It is so wonderful to hear him laugh!  We took him to the Farmer's Market this morning, it helped to let him pick out some things to eat.  He told me he didn't really like tomatoes, but I bought them anyways since my kids LOVE them.  Apparently he doesn't like Ukrainian tomatoes, because he helped devour 2 pints of Sungold tomatoes at lunch.  Funny new discovery, ranch is the new ketchup.  Speaking of food, y'all I may go broke feeding this kid.  He ate 2 hot dogs, 5 hamburgers, grilled squash, and baked beans for dinner!!!!  He would have eaten a sixth hamburger but Bailey snatched it up before he could get to it.  I would also like to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has offered us help, support, encouragement, and prayers!  It means so much to us that we are not on this journey alone.  Please continue to pray that he would be more and more open to receive love and affection, that he will not become too focused on "stuff", and that his heart will be open to the gospel.  We are taking him with us to church tomorrow, part of me wants to shelter him like I would a newborn baby, but I know that I can't so please just be patient with me if I'm not my normal social self.

No comments: