Friday, June 29, 2012

So much for expectations ...

I was so excited, as most of you know, about Roman (pronounced ro-MAHN) coming to live with us for 5 weeks that I might have overlooked a few of the issues we might experience.  Luckily reality has this way of kicking you in the teeth.  Let me be clear, I still love him and I would do it all over again in a second!  But, either because of lack of time or lack of attention I just didn't quite get to the reality part on my own.  First, he speaks NO English.  Which I knew going into this, but I was assured that "Google translate" would be my best friend.  Well guess what - Roman is a horrible speller (first John-ism).  Google has a lot of fun with us.  Second, he is really nosy I mean curious ;) He has gone through just about everything we own.  Third, I didn't realize what a pushover I would be to a 15 year old boy.  He asks, I say no, then he says "Pleez" - with the face (you know the face, the one you can't say no to, I thought they outgrew that face).  Which brings us to my next issue, he is 15!!  Why didn't any of you tell me that a 15 yr. old boy would have nothing in common with the rest of our family?!?  I was told, by those fibbers at NHFC (j/k), that he will play on the computer, play video games, watch movies, and help clean the house.  Nope not my kid.  He only knows very basic computer skills, doesn't like t.v. at all, will play a little Wii, but he'd rather be outside ALL.THE.TIME (second John-ism).  Do y'all know how hot it is?  He keeps asking me when we're going to the ocean.  Whenever I get a spare 4 hours to drive you there Dude!  He will clean up when asked (third John-ism) and he washes himself and keeps his room neat, which is more than I can say for my own kids at the moment.  Which brings me to my final point - he is really good with the kids.  He is patient and kind and generous and protective (fourth John-ism).  John and I sat together, hiding in the kids room with that what-did-we-get-overselves-into look on our faces trying to troubleshoot when he reached out and grabbed my hands and prayed.  You see at the end of the day, this journey is an act of faith and obedience.  So we lay all of our worries and stresses and fears at His feet and trust in His plan and His provision.  Please continue to pray with us and for us.

Current needs for Roman
  • Shorts, sz. 12/14 for everyday and for church
  • Shirts, sz. 12/14 a few more t-shirts, but more for church
  • Sunglasses
  • Black socks
  • Music - we have an mp3 player, but we need more music and a new set of earbuds
  • Backpack
  • Rolling Suitcase (MUST be 26-28", but does not have to be new)

1 comment:

Jenny said...

What form of legal mp3 would you like? Amazon gift credits? I have earbuds still accessible, and might be able to get to my old yellow backpack.