Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Finally Some Perspective

For days now we've been in the throws of boundary testing, lots of pouting and sulking.  I've been having such a hard time with it.  I began doubting my parenting abilities, my sanity, my calling .. I had no confidence in what we were doing.  A couple of things happened today that have really helped.  First, the Lord graciously reminded me that this is His plan for our lives and I am to be obedient in the good and the bad, the easy and the hard.  I've been so focused on behavior modifications and language barriers that I had forgotten that this is first and foremost a mission.  Second, I talked with some other host Moms that had some really wonderful insight and some kind words of wisdom.  Third, I waited.  Most of you know, this is not my strong suit.  I prefer to run at things full speed.  If there is an issue, we air it out and deal with it.  But Roman does not have the same conflict resolution skills.  So I waited for him to decide it was time.  He doesn't get to be in control of much, but he is allowed the dignity to process his emotions in his own time.  This is hard for me, I really have to fight the urge to try to make him talk to me.  About half way through the day today I could tell he was starting to come around, so I took advantage and used that time to reassure him.  He was a little uneasy when John got home, but the first thing John said when he got home was, "come here boy I didn't get my hug this morning!" and all was well.  We went to church tonight and he helped us prepare for VBS next week.  He loves being at church with us.  I am so happy that our church family has been so kind to him and welcomed him in as one of their own.  He seems to feel very safe there and I can't tell you how wonderful that makes me feel!  Tonight we tried something new with our devotion/prayer time.  We got Roman's Russian/English parallel Bible out and found the passage for him to follow along while John read the story to our kids.  It went so much better, I can't believe we didn't think of doing it sooner!  I wish I could mention all the people by name that have helped us so far, but I want you to know that I am so, so grateful that so many of you have chosen to participate in this mission with us.  We have been given clothes, shoes, groceries, garden goodies, gift cards, and money.  But most of all you have shared your love, thank you!

Prayer requests:
  • Continued prayers for wisdom & discernment
  • for Roman to learn to trust us to love him, nurture him, & forgive him
  • for Roman and Olivia Jane - they struggle the most with not understanding each other
  • for our Russian/Roman's English

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a blessing you are to Roman and us as we read about your challenges, blessings and experiences in loving this young man.
Linda Hartsell